October 10, 2020 LINT Meeting
Save the Date!
Visit the Kinnaird Guitar Workshop in Nacogdoches, TX.
- Sharpening demonstration led by Matt Jacobs. This will concentrate on cabinet scrapers, because they are so useful to lutherie, and there are a couple of secrets to getting a good edge.
- The main event will be a listening/discussion session.
- Our shop has built three test guitars with all ingredients identical except for backs/sides. One is mahogany, one is maple and one is rosewood.
- The purpose of the test is to identify--if we can--what differences there are in the tone, and what we hear (or think we hear) contributed by the different backs and sides.
- My hope is for a lively discussion of a tricky subject--sound.
- Does rosewood really add sustain?
- Does maple always sound "thin"?
- Is mahogany always "dry"?
- And then some discussion about what we're hearing, and just maybe how to describe it. Sound is like taste, quite difficult to put into words, but I hope to have some good back and forth on how to describe what we're hearing.
- Of course, there will be the nickel tour of our shop, as well as the essential show and tell.
- Also, we're going to be giving away some wood, and letting folks paw through that.
- And YES! We will have some Tunnel 14 tops for sale. Folks can just pay me, and I'll write the check for the whole sale.
- And Yes! (Now what would you pay?) We will be serving lunch. Barbecued brisket sandwiches with all the trimmings.
So come one, come all! We should have a good meeting...even if you have to drive a bit to get here.