Luthiers Interactive of North Texas (LINT)

Want to swap top sets for back and side sets

• 28 Jan 2021 7:43 AM
    Message # 10041376
    I have dozens of AAAA and AAA bookmatched Sitka top sets cut in the 1980s and stored indoors that I would like to trade for nice back and side sets. Interested in mahogany, rosewood, maple, koa, what have you. I'll trade multiple tops for one set if needed to make fair value. Planning now to come to Feb 13 meeting, but could also meet up somewhere halfway between Houston and Dallas.
  • 1 Feb 2021 9:58 PM
    Reply # 10055066 on 10041376

Paul, 

I am interested in some of your sets. I have an exhaustive process I put tops through before purchase. It includes calculating density, Young’s modulus, and sound radiation coefficient. This information is fed into a proprietary algorithm that myself and a couple of other Luthier’s have developed. All this information is combined with visual inspection to make a purchase decision. It takes a little time to evaluate a number of tops. How many do you have? Would you object to me taking the tops long enough to test them. I would be happy to share the testing results on any tops tested with you. It is a great sales tool.

Chris Jenkins

Last modified: 1 Feb 2021 10:58 PM | Chris Jenkins
  • 2 Feb 2021 12:37 PM
    Reply # 10056455 on 10041376
    Craig Olson (Administrator)

Hi Paul,  if you're looking to sell a few then I'd just load them up and bring to the meeting.  A lot of the folks bring cash just in case someone shows up with items to sell.  I'll be needing a few tops soon, so definitely interested to look at what you have.

copyright 2021
Luthiers Interactive of North Texas is a club of like-minded individuals, located in the North Texas area, sharing the joy and craft of building stringed instruments. 

Learn - Build - Share   Repeat