Luthiers Interactive of North Texas (LINT)

Don Teeter has passed away

• 27 Apr 2021 8:47 AM
    Message # 10371518

For the last 50 years or so Oklahoma has been a sort of Mecca for guitar repairmen because of Don. He would spend time to speak with you through the pipe smoke in his shop. A humble man who was very wise. He passed away on February 27, 2021. 
    if you never met Don you should find his books on guitar repair. He was self taught and his work was flawless.

I still had pimples when I met the man who Roy Clark said was the only guitar technician he would ever trust with his guitars. That was the only endorsement a luthier could ever hope for in my opinion. 

Rest in peace Don.

• 29 Apr 2021 12:53 PM
    Reply # 10404594 on 10371518
    Bill Bell (Administrator)

My Dad swapped his '51 Mercury for $200 and a 1956 F-20 Guild.  It had a great sound for a small body but it showed a little of it's age and rough life.  I played it some in the 60's and used it in some studio work in the early 70's. By the mid-70's my Dad took it in to the local legend to have it reworked.  Don Teeter thinned the top to remove the gouges, replaced deteriorating buttons, nut & bridge and refinished it with sun burst requested by my Dad.  And he told me how much he enjoyed visiting with Don, talking about his project of writing a repair book and touring the Martin factory, being treated as almost royalty. 

That Guild still hangs on my wall for those quick moments of inspiration. And is a memory of my Dad and the craftsman that restored the guitar.

• 1 May 2021 1:09 PM
    Reply # 10421747 on 10371518

That is a Great story about Don. He could always make it look easy. Thanks Bill

• 2 May 2021 7:19 AM
    Reply # 10426719 on 10371518
    Bo Walker wrote:

For the last 50 years or so Oklahoma has been a sort of Mecca for guitar repairmen because of Don. He would spend time to speak with you through the pipe smoke in his shop. A humble man who was very wise. He passed away on February 27, 2021. 
    if you never met Don you should find his books on guitar repair. He was self taught and his work was flawless.

I still had pimples when I met the man who Roy Clark said was the only guitar technician he would ever trust with his guitars. That was the only endorsement a luthier could ever hope for in my opinion. 

Rest in peace Don.

I knew Don when I lived in Oklahoma City.  He was a creative, inspired and gentle artisan.  I read every word of his books many times.

copyright 2021
Luthiers Interactive of North Texas is a club of like-minded individuals, located in the North Texas area, sharing the joy and craft of building stringed instruments. 

Learn - Build - Share   Repeat